HomeKit how to guide – How to add a room to HomeKit
HomeKit how-to guide is a series focused on smart home accessories, automation tips and tricks, and everything to do with Apple’s smart home app and HomeKit framework.
Welcome to the second instalment of HomeKit how-to guides that will take you through step by step how to add a room in HomeKit. In the previous instalment, I took you through how to add an accessory to Apple Home and you can check that out if you missed it
Why set up rooms in HomeKit
HomeKit is a platform that allows you to control smart home devices and accessories from lights, thermostats, locks, smart cameras and many more. In order to better organise the accessory that is controlled within HomeKit, you can create rooms that reflect the rooms in your actual home. So, for instance, you can create a room called “Living room” and put any smart accessory connected via HomeKit into this room like shown in this picture below
How to create a room in HomeKit:
- Open the Home app and navigate to the rooms tab
- Then press the icon which is 3 lines and 3 dots in the left top corner
- Then click room settings
- You will then find yourself in the rooms menu, click Add room
- Then you add the room to HomeKit
- Choose a name
- Choose a picture
- Then click save
- You have added a room to HomeKit and you are now ready to add any smart accessories to that room
Don’t forget to keep checking back for more editions of this HomeKit guide. If you have a comment about this HomeKit guide then leave one below and don’t forget to share if you find this useful.