Like iOS devices, Macs, the Apple Watch, the HomePod and HomePod mini receive updates from Apple. These updates to the software bring various new features and bug fixes that improve the smart speaker. But if you use the HomePod as a Home hub in HomeKit, then its wise to keep it updated to get the latest features in your smart home.
By default, updates are installed on your HomePod automatically, but there’s also a way to force an update if Apple release new software and it’s not yet installed. Which is handy, as we often find that Apple’s update push is not always immediate.
Locating HomePod updates is achieved by looking in the Home App on your iPhone or iPad.
Here’s how to get to it:
- Open up the Home app.
- Tap on the home icon in the upper left corner of the display.
- Then click on Home Settings. You may need to scroll down if you have lots of rooms on a iPhone
- Scroll down to Software Update.
- Pull down from the top of the iPhone or iPad screen to check for an update.
- If one is available, then it will prompt you to download and install. If you have multiple HomePods in your home, it will update each one at the same time through this software update feature.
In this menu you can also see the recently updated software for all your HomePod devices. You do this by clicking on “Updated Recently” and this will show you the current version of all your HomePod devices. By going back, you can turn on “Automatic Updates” so you can set and forget.
Don’t forget to subscribe for to be notified of the latest HomeKit News, reviews and tutorials. If you have a question or a comment, then leave it below. You can also follow us on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram.